Saturday, November 8, 2008

A day out with krishna Part 2











After the Mika Ninagawa exhibition, which was far bigger than we'd expected, we went upstairs to view the exhibition from the permanent collection. The exhibition is called Black & white and features two Japanese artists, Isomi Teruo and Ozaku Seishi. It was a a strange contrast to the previous exhibition, as the title suggests it was completely monochrome and the subject matter was dark, moody, sometimes mythological in tone, sometimes nightmarish. The work of Isomi Teruo consists of woodcut prints where the grain of the Wood can be plainly seen and adds texture to the work. Out of the 2 artists his work was my favourite, they were a little less dark and were quite haunting.
Ozaku's work was the darker of the two, he works with etching and his imagery reminded me a little of Hieronymus Bosch.
The 3rd and final exhibition at the gallery was by a young emerging artist called Mashimo Yuki. I couldn't get any information in English about this artist so I'm not even sure of the gender but I'm guessing female. The 1st picture on this post of the girl and flowers, is by Mashimo. Her style is intricate, detailed and beautiful. I imagine each drawing takes a long time to complete. The above drawing was small but some of them were over a metre in length. This is most definitely a name I'll be looking out for in the future, the work is exquisite. I apologise for the lack of pictures but photography was not allowed in the gallery and I couldn't find anything to buy from the gallery shop:(
I got inspired enough seeing this artists work to go out today and buy some proper drawing pens, I'll let you know how it goes!
xxx

No comments: