Sunday, October 12, 2008

Day out in Kamakura






I had a lovely day out yesterday in Kamakura and I want to share some of my photos with you!

Kamakura still retains some of that ancient magic of old Japan, don't get me wrong, contemporary Japan's fascinating, but give me cobbled streets, ancient temples, and tranquil mossy gardens any day:)

I visited quite a few temples yesterday but my two favourites were Hokokuji and Sugimotodera.

Hokokuji temple has a beautiful bamboo garden, which even though it was pretty busy still had a hushed, magical feel. I walked around it twice I loved the atmosphere so much! There's a small pavillion with a good view of the garden where you can sit and drink green tea (whisked by hand) and eat Japanese sweets which really complement the tea. I didn't manage to get a photo of it but as I was sitting admiring the view of the garden a pale emerald coloured dragonfly fluttered across my vision like a jewel, beautiful.

No comments: